Colourful Roasted Beet Salad
Roasted Beet Salad with Horseradish Dressing
The pairing of roasted sweet beets and hot horseradish is a flavour combination that is sure to wake up the palate. A wonderful side dish using farm fresh beets is an absolute pleasure at this time of year.
Did You Know?
Beets, with their vibrant red colour, are loaded with nutrients and antioxidants. A good source of folate, potassium, magnesium, phosphorus, iron and fibre, beets pack a powerful nutrition punch.
INGREDIENTS (4 servings)
· 4 -6 medium-size beets, tops removed, washed and scrubbed
· 3 cups (750 ml) mixed greens, Boston lettuce or baby spinach
· 2 – 3 tablespoons (30 - 45 ml) prepared horseradish
· 1 cup (250 ml) sour cream, vegan sour cream or Greek yogurt
· 3 tablespoons (45 ml) mayo or vegan mayo
· 2 teaspoon (10 ml) white wine or apple cider vinegar
· 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced or ½ teaspoon (2.5 ml) garlic powder
· ¼ teaspoon (1.25 ml) salt
· ¼ teaspoon (1.25 ml) black pepper
· Fresh herbs (tarragon, dill, or parsley) or thinly sliced green onions as a garnish when plating (optional)
· Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste when plating (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 375 F (190 C).
2. Place beets on a tray lined with either foil or parchment paper. Roast in a preheated
oven about 1 hour, turning occasionally until tender. Let stand at room temperature until cool, about 1 hour.
3. Thinly slice beets and refrigerate until serving.
4. In a mixing bowl, combine the horseradish, sour cream, vegan sour cream or Greek
Yogurt, mayo or vegan mayo, vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper. Refrigerate until
5. To serve, divide the lettuce among the serving plates. Top with the beet slices and
drizzle the horseradish dressing on top.
6. Garnish with fresh herbs or green onions and add extra salt and freshly cracked black
pepper to taste (optional).
Submitted by: Joanne Nijhuis MSc, RD, a consulting and culinary dietitian in Simcoe Grey Bruce. Instagram: jo_knows_nutrition